Senior Internal Auditor
The job has expired.
Selfridges is a social centre where everyone is welcome. We surprise, amaze and amuse our customers everyday by doing the unexpected, celebrating those special moments and inspiring one another. We are the destination for the most extraordinary customer experience unrivalled with products and services ranging from high street to high end.
The Senior Internal Auditor will help support and be responsible for executing the Selfridges Internal Audit plan. The Senior Internal Auditor is responsible for leading the execution of risk-based internal audits in accordance with the annual audit plan, as well as assisting with other audit matters and projects.
You will provide a professional and objective internal audit and consultancy service to the business on the full range of assurance matters and be responsible for the execution of financial, operational, change programme, IT system reviews and special projects. To ensure that planning, audit execution and reporting is comprehensive, is carried out efficiently and effectively and to the required standard.
Facilitation of the Risk Management process, including taking ownership for updating the risk maps and risk registers following stakeholder meetings.
Identify opportunities and make recommendations that will provide value in the form of operational efficiencies, cost reduction and risk mitigation.
Know The Role
Based in our Wigmore Street offices you’ll provide a unique and tailored service in Audit team to customers internally and externally, going beyond the ordinary to create moments that cannot be experienced elsewhere. Our customers expect extraordinary service delivered by people with a genuine passion for what they do and to share their unparalleled level of knowledge whilst taking enormous pride in maintaining our exceptionally high standards.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. Identifying the enterprise wide assurance environment and evaluating related risk
- Maintains and develops awareness of risk issues and changes across the relevant business units
- Strong analytical skills and common sense approach to ensure audit recommendations are relevant, practical and make commercial sense
2. Promoting Best Practice in Internal Control
- Works with management across the business to analyse issues, understand the root causes and provide help, support and practical solutions to strengthen control
- Challenges the business by posing appropriate questions
- Meets regularly with key stakeholders to review issues and best practices arising out of individual assignments and to create and execute appropriate action plans for spreading best practices
3. Being Responsible and Accountable for Internal Audit
- Responsibility for leading and execution of financial, operational, change programme, IT system reviews and special projects. This is completed in line with group methodology.
- Evaluates systems of internal controls, reviews administrative and operational procedures; designs tests and procedures; and identifies problem areas, control concerns and management issues
- Preparation of clear succinct working paper documentation, which links transparently from risk to control testing to results and supports the procedures performed and findings noted. This is completed in line with group methodology.
- Supports major change programmes and IT system implementations via a range of techniques including ongoing assurance (embedded in the programme), in depth audits, control design reviews and iterative reviews.
- Present audit findings and issues to senior management and help agree action plans to ensure that any weaknesses noted are mitigated going forward
- Complete follow up reviews to ensure all action plans agreed have been implemented and are mitigating the risk to an appropriate level
- Support with the tracking, validation and reporting of open actions raised from operational audits
- Maintain both department wide risk registers and outstanding recommendation audit logs, through regularly meetings with department managers, and providing input into the company wide risk register
4. Risk Management
- Support the team in facilitating the review and management of risk within the business.
- Where necessary attend and lead divisional risk management groups.
- Produce and update supportive documentation to assist the business manage risk e.g. risk maps.
- Keep abreast of risks within Retail and the wider business environment. Be a business expert and advisor to new or emerging risks.
Know What We're Looking For
Your passion and confidence will set you apart. While consulting with the Audit Team you’ll take real pride in delivering a personalised and professional service. Bringing your personality to the service experience you will always look to genuinely connect with your customers while thinking creatively to bring your ideas to life. As well as having the ability to work well as part of a team, you’ll be willing to embrace opportunities to build your skills in order to offer quality and reassurance to all of our internal and external customers.
Key Skills and Experience
- Proactive and a self starter – this role requires considerable ability to work on your own with the Selfridges team.
- Shows initiative, passion, and decisiveness, consistently producing quality results against given deadlines
- Driven to over-achieve and exceed expectations
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and manage workloads across multiple tasks
- Knowledge of accounting, general business principles and internal control concepts
- Experience in a retail environment and knowledge and understanding of retail best practices
- Ability to earn credibility with senior management. Strong track record of successful stakeholder management
- Provides customer focused solutions
- A communicator – professionalism, empathy, influencing, and interpersonal skills, combined with clear written / verbal communication.
- Qualified, e.g. ACCA/ACA/CIMA or CIA
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting/Finance/Management (not mandatory)
- Experience in internal auditing is essential
- Experience of the retail sector is very beneficial
- Big 4 experience in external or internal audit
- Experience in providing assurance and/or risk support for major change and investment programmes and IT system implementations
- Experience with IT controls and methodologies
About The Company
We are a shop run on imagination: a place where the world’s most covetable brands combine with the most extraordinary spectacles, events and ideas for an experience like no other.
We have challenged the rules of retail from day one, whilst demonstrating our unwavering commitment to sustainability. In 2016, we were the first to be awarded with recognition for the ‘World’s Best Sustainability Campaign by a Department Store’ at the IGDS Global Department Store Summit, in-line with its focus on buying better and inspiring change. We are also recognised as the Best Department Store in the World (2010, 2012, 2014 & 2018) underlining our place at the forefront of retail. In 2018 we were recognised as a LinkedIn Top Company to work for.
Our vision is to be the destination for the most extraordinary customer experience, and our people are central to us achieving this. As an employer we are committed to making Selfridges an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work