Assistant Buyer - Wines and Spirits
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge of wine and spirits to take our Buying selection to the next level? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in Buying, as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
A bit about the role
As an Assistant Buyer, you will be responsible for an identified buying area (within wine, spirits and beer), and you will support your managing Buyer in sourcing product, experiences and developing brand concessions. You will work with the buying team and Head of Food to negotiate the best terms for the business, ensure the ordering process is efficient and compliant with Selfridges processes, and assist the wider Retail, Marketing and Events teams.
As an Assistant Buyer you will:
- Be responsible for the commercial performance of an identified buying area (wines and spirits), ensuring a thorough knowledge of product, supply base, market and trends.
- Negotiate the best possible terms with suppliers regarding cost of goods, margin, trade discounts and supply chain dependencies, working with the Buyer where appropriate.
- Work with the Buyers, Merchandisers and Head of Food to ensure that buying decisions are based on a sound commercial framework to drive sales and profit.
- Work with the Buyers and Merchandisers to plan seasonal ‘Open to Buy’ periods and agree commercial forecasts for your area of responsibility.
- Assist with range planning, working closely with the Merchandisers and Buyer/Head of Food.
- Work with the broader Food Buying team to analyse performance, making listing recommendations to the Buyer/Head of Food in line with Selfridges’ category strategy.
- Communicate effectively with Retail and Online operations teams, particularly when communicating new range launches and training the Retail teams on product knowledge.
- Work closely with Customer Communications and PR, and be aware of promotional opportunities, including new product launches in line with our food trade calendar.
- Research existing and emerging trends by visiting competitors, analysing market trends, and monitoring social media.
- Support the Buyers Administrator team and monitor their workload.
- Work closely with VM to ensure product placement optimises the display and performance of the department.
- Work closely with Online Trading Managers to optimise online conversion and sales.
- Support the wider Food team to meet Selfridges’ environmental and social sustainability goals and achieve your own buying area's Project Earth targets.
A bit about you
- Highly knowledgeable. You will have a well-developed understanding of your categories and the wider market.
- Aware of key existing and emerging trends within your category and wider foods.
- Strategic and operational. With strong analytical skills and experience driving long-term and profitable commercial strategies, you’ll be able to successfully manage projects through to completion.
- Engaging. Able to influence your stakeholders, retail and brands, you know how to use data and market trends to drive commercial opportunities.
- Customer focused. Combined with exceptional taste and instinct, you can push the boundaries to source new and exciting products.
- All over the numbers. You are numerate with a highly commercial approach to sourcing and negotiation, and proficient in Excel.
- Collaborative. Working flexibly as part of the wider Buying team you will support projects and cross functional meetings as appropriate.
- Organised with good attention to detail.
- Articulate and confident, with excellent interpersonal skills, and an ability to influence.
- An exemplar of our values, a trusted and respected colleague.
A bit about us
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development