Buying Manager - Accessories
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge of buying to elevate our accessories offering? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in buying, as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
A bit about the role
As our Accessories Buying Manager, you will support our Director of Buying to manage our Accessories division. You will drive the creative direction of our Accessories division, through sourcing new brands and product, as well as negotiating the best terms for Selfridges. To manage the performance of a buying area and to work cross functionally to drive sales and maximise profitability through a team. As our Accessories Buying Manager you will:
- Work with the Director of Buying to develop and implement the creative strategy for the Accessories division
- Source new brands and product to ensure that Selfridges remains at the leading edge, through thorough knowledge and expertise of the product and market
- Negotiate the best possible terms with suppliers i.e. margin, trade discounts, markdown support
- Be responsible for driving sales and profit, ensuring that Buying decisions are based on a sound commercial framework
- Work closely with the Merchandise team to plan the OTB and to monitor and review in season, taking action where necessary.
- Be responsible for range planning, working closely with the Merchandiser Manager
- Manage existing brands through analysis of performance, taking action when necessary and making decision to keep or discontinue within the business
- Manage concessions through regular meetings with the concession manager and analysis of performance, making recommendations to keep or discontinue within the business
- To ensure effective communication with retail operations teams, particularly with regard to new season launches and product training
- Drive work closely with Social Media, Marketing and PR and to maximise promotional opportunities during negotiations with suppliers
- Work with Property where necessary to ensure new concepts are implemented effectively
- Work closely with Retail Management and VM to ensure product placement optimises the look and performance of the department
- Be responsible for the ordering process, ensuring Buying teams are complying with the ordering processes and supporting the admin team in identifying and dealing with errors.
- Manage and develop a team ensuring processes are in place for training and development, succession planning and communication
- Work with legal team on contract negotiations and concession management
- Identify new concepts, drive and present CAPEX’s and implement through property
- Support seasonal activity
A bit about you
- Strategic vision
- Well-developed understanding of the Accessories product/market
- Innovative – able to drive and implement new concepts
- Numerate with highly commercial approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Coaching style of management
- Strong negotiator
- Ability to influence
- Ability to motivate others
- Communication and Presentation skills
- Relationship management
A bit about us
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development