Department Manager, Toys
A bit about the role
As a Department Manager, you will be the driving force behind your business area and team. You will deliver an extraordinary customer experience whilst meeting sales and profit targets. Teamwork and guidance is at the heart of what you do, driving your team to succeed and develop. The relationships you build with stakeholders across the business will help to drive the success of you, your team and department.
As the Department Manager you will:
- Be responsible for own bought and concession department and strategy (including payroll), identifying opportunities and risks using external market trends and competitor insights
- Support the concession businesses in your department by working closely with the Concession Manager to support and set improvement targets, resolve issues that may arise
- Motivate the team to exceed sales targets by developing skills in product knowledge, cross category selling, after sales service and awareness of other services within Selfridges
- Manage and lead your team giving regular feedback and coaching. Recognising both talent and development areas, you will create unique plans to progress your team using the tools available
- Act upon information and feedback from across the business e.g spotlight, engagement survey and team member feedback to name a few
- Ensure that the department is fully compliant with trading standards, health and safety legislation and all store operating procedures
- Achieve stock loss KPI through effective management of procedures, stock loss action plan and team member training
- Liaise and influence VM and B&M team to seek ways to improve visual presentation, stock holding and relay customer feedback, including best and worst sellers
- Keep consistently high standards in your department through the completion of daily floor walks and checks, following up on required improvements
A bit about you
- Commercially minded. Understanding the numbers, you have a plan to achieve sales targets, realise the importance of managing stock levels and are reactive to external factors that may impact performance
- Collaborative. Building relationships is one of your strengths. Whether it’s with your team to drive performance, your concession partners to initiate positive change, or with the wider Selfridges community, you realise the importance on working together
- A retail expert. Accustomed to working in customer focused, fast paced/high volume environments, you bring both passion and knowledge to support your team. Generating ideas and implementing plans to develop business opportunities
- A good communicator. Your friendly and confident manner is appreciated by customers, team members and stakeholders alike
- A leader. Motivating and inspiring your team to deliver exceptional service and meet sales targets. You understand the importance of leading by example and provide coaching to drive performance and change
- Adaptable. Prioritising is one of your skills and you know how to keep you team calm and focused in times of change
- Proactive. Planning for the weeks, months and season ahead from floor cover, events, stock and many more, you truly own your business area and take responsibility for ensuring its success
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
Sales - Total OB and concession sales (LY and Plan)
Stock loss – Cash and percentage to sales
Service – NPS score and data capture
People – Absence, turnover, engagement and pulse survey
This guide represents a summary of the role, however all team members are expected to be flexible in the work they undertake, which may change from time to time, according to the needs of the business
A bit about us
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development