Design Manager - Property Services
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge of strategic planning and design to take our Property Team at Selfridges to the next level? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
A bit about the role
To facilitate, and assist in delivering, world class retail environments in all Selfridges’ stores through highly professional design coordination and management, creating leading edge solutions in retail and non-retail areas alike.
To support the Property Team, Creative Team and Buying Team in all Strategic Planning and Design related matters to deliver best in class solutions for all stores by
- ensuring the effective Design Coordination of projects through the entire design, development and delivery process
- overseeing the development and maintenance of digital drawing data for all Selfridges’ sites
- Working closely with Selfridges stakeholders and brands on concept development and sign off
- Manage collation and production of strategic design guidelines, compartment design guidelines, project specific design guidelines and creation of temporary guidelines for churn projects ensuring alignment throughout
- Co-ordinate/produce strategic project plans – walkways, sightlines, fixture zones, signage, lightboxes, liaison and interfaces with other projects eg M&E project
- Present all design schemes to Selfridges directors for approval
- Support brand briefings as required, chaired by Project Manager
- Manage the approval of brand shopfit projects through concept and detailed design stages:
- Liaise with brands throughout concept, detail, and design phases through to project completion
- Ensure projects adhere to Selfridges’ Masterplan and Store Guidelines
- Ensure timely and sufficient design information is passed to Project Manager’s for the delivery phase
- Work closely with the project management team to ensure design integrity is maintained at each stage of the design and delivery process
- Participate in post-project reviews and design analysis
- Manage the evolution and communication of key Selfridges’ design specifications – eg cash desk and fitting room templates
- Ensure designs meet or exceed defined quality standards and compliance with requirements of legislation and/or external authorities
- Ensure internal design approvals and financial sanctions are obtained at appropriate stages
- Encourage design innovation and creativity
- Oversee and track the standards and progress in the development and maintenance of digital drawing data (Selfridges’ working drawings – updated by the cad team and external consultants) for all Selfridges’ sites
- Maintain communication plan for the design stage of projects
- Liaise with and inform project progress with the internal Property Department, Retail Operations Department, B & M Department, Visual Merchandise Department, as well as external brand design teams
- Encourage and promote an understanding of the Selfridges brand values amongst external consultants
- Work effectively with Design Manager and Design Coordinators to maintain a coordinated team with clear focus
A bit about you
- ‘Expert’ understanding of the market place with a passion for innovative retail and design
- Innovative and highly commercial approach – able to develop and implement new ideas in cost effective ways
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure on many diverse projects
- In depth knowledge of CAD and other design related packages
- Knowledge of technical aspects of construction practice and practical site experience
- Tenacity and Focus
- Self Motivated but Team Oriented
- Positive and Optimistic but Realistic
- Disciplined but Flexible
- Excellent design knowledge and analysis
A bit about us
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development