Assistant Buyer - Food
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to get creative and use your knowledge of food buying to elevate our ambient food offering? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career in buying, as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
A bit about the role
As an Assistant Buyer, you will be responsible for an identified buying area for the business. You will support the Buyer in sourcing brands and product. You will work with the Buyer/Head of Buying to negotiate the best terms for the business with suppliers. To ensure the ordering process is efficient and compliant with Selfridges processes and to assist the Buying Admin team where necessary. As part of this, you will:
- Support the buyer to achieve key KPI’s, i.e Margins, sales plan, as well as Project Earth materials targets
- Be responsible for buying for a identified area for the business – ensuring thorough knowledge of product, market, and food trends
- Negotiate the best possible terms with suppliers i.e. margin, trade discounts, markdown support, working with the Buyer and Head of Buying where appropriate
- Work with the Buyer and Head of Buying to ensure that Buying decisions are based on a sound commercial framework to drive sales and profit
- Work closely with the Buyer/Head of Buying and Merchandiser on seasonal OTB. Own responsibility by managing seasonal food buying (Easter, Christmas etc), making recommendations to the Buyer/Head of Buying where necessary.
- Use the department strategy to assist with range planning, working closely with the Buyer/Head of Buying to analyse performance, making recommendations to the Buyer/Head of Buying i.e. to keep or discontinue within the business, in line with our category strategy
- Communicate effectively with retail/online operations teams, particularly with regard to new season launches and product training
- Build a network and relationships with external suppliers and internal teams – Merchandise, VM, store ops, online trading and food safety
- Work closely with Marketing and PR and to be aware of promotional opportunities, including new product launches in line with our food trade calendar
- Be responsible for re-ordering, working within the seasonal buy, ensuring decisions are communicated to the Administrator good time *
- Carry out research into key existing and emerging food trends by analysing market trends and put together range planning proposal for the area, in line with GMDT/category review calendar
- Where relevant, to supervise the Administrator and monitor workload
- Work closely with VM to ensure product placement optimises the look and performance of the department
- Manage the support of launching concession products instore and online, through regular meeting with the concession - analyse their performance making recommendations to Buyer/Head of Buying where relevant
* N/B: in areas where there is a Buyer’s Assistant and an Assistant Buyer, this responsibility will be shared
A bit about you
- Highly knowledgeable. You will have a well-developed understanding of the product, market and trends. as well as an understanding of food labelling compliance
- Strategic and operational. With strong analytical skills and experience driving long-term and profitable commercial strategies, you’ll be able to successfully manage projects through to completion.
- Engaging. Able to influence your stakeholders, retail and brands, you know how to use both data and market trends to drive commercial opportunities
- Customer focused. Combined with exceptional taste and instinct, you are able to push the boundaries to offer new and exciting product
- All over the numbers. You are numerate with a highly commercial approach, as well as proficient in excel
- Collaborative. Working flexibly as part of the wider Buying team you will support in projects and cross functional meetings as appropriate
- Passionate about food.
- Organised with attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate the ability to influence
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
A bit about us
Our Creative Spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our Awards Cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
Everyone is welcome
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working culture, and we see this as key to our success and our working culture. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all. We are diverse, we are inclusive, we are Selfridges.
The Fun Stuff
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Pension contributions
- Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
- A volunteer day for all team members
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development