The following content displays a map of the jobs location - London
Group Senior Sustainability Manager
This job has been closed.
A bit about the role
We are looking for a Senior Sustainability Manager to join a small but dynamic team in Selfridges Group to help us reinvent retail and create a sustainable future for our customers. The Senior Sustainability Manager will support the ongoing delivery of the Selfridges Group sustainability strategy, playing a key role to bring our Vision, Purpose and Values to life across our markets.
We are a family of five international department stores working to imagine and create a sustainable future for our people and our customers. We do this in a way that respects our world, builds trust and values creativity and innovation in everything we do. These values guide all our decisions. Selfridges Group is both global and local; that is our strength and the source of our success. We combine the collective power of the Group with the rich, targeted knowledge of our customers and teams across the UK, Ireland, Canada and the Netherlands. That makes us distinctive in our world.
We put our customers and teams at the heart of everything we do. They care deeply about the environment and our social impacts. That is why sustainability is central to our ambition to reinvent retail, through the materials we sell, the business models we use and exploring different mindsets. We believe the future lies in combining creativity and sustainability to deliver exceptional customer experiences.
The Senior Sustainability Manager sits within the Group team and works directly for the Group Director of Sustainability.
- We are setting Science Based Targets to drive an ambitious carbon reduction plan to achieve net zero carbon by 2050
- We will ensure the most environmentally impactful materials used in our business come from certified, sustainable sources by 2025
These commitments are underpinned by our guiding principles:
- Destinations: We create extraordinary destinations and low carbon operations
- Product: We source responsibly and ethically and pioneer new retail models and experiences
- People: We engage with and learn from our team members to imagine and create a sustainable future for retail
- Customer: We engage with and learn from our customers to imagine and create a sustainable future for retail
Key Areas of Accountability
- Support Group Director of Sustainability to connect sustainability to the Vision & Purpose, embedding further in core business practices and future business transformation opportunities
- Responsible for maintaining and periodically revising the sustainability strategy and maturity framework (Stairway to Sustainable Future)
- Provide guidance and direction to sustainability teams within each business on long term sustainability ambitions, and on specific day to day sustainability requirements, in line with the Stairway/Group strategy
Identify and support opportunities for alignment, knowledge sharing and collaboration on sustainability within the Group central team and across our businesses on priority topics
- Supported by the Director of Sustainability, design and deliver Group Sustainability meetings, off sites and conferences providing agendas and minutes and following up on actions
- Working closely with Finance and Strategy Teams, contribute to the rhythms and routines of the business such as monthly Board reporting, input to strategic business reviews, etc
- Liaise with Corporate Governance function on legislative reporting requirements and timelines
- Working closely with the Legal, Internal Audit and Risk Teams to ensure sustainability risks are appropriately considered within business planning and strategy
- With Director approval, set and manage Group Sustainability budget and coordination of split costs against central team and collaborative projects
- Support Group Director of Sustainability and Group Managing Director, ensuring they are connected with progress against sustainability targets, fully briefed for meetings
- Day to day point of contact and supervision of any consultancy support
Planning and Reporting
- Develop and maintain workplan to support team objectives
- Oversee sustainability reporting to Group, including ongoing development of Sustainability and Reward Dashboards, collation and review of monthly banner sustainability reports on progress, supporting regular reviews and deep dives against the sustainability strategy
- Act as central point of contact for external networks and trade organisations, such as the Fashion Pact
- Review existing and future opportunities for engagement
Key Skills & Experience
- Energetic for business transformation and envisioning a better future for people and planet.
- Broad understanding of key sustainability areas, with a breadth of skill and interest
- Some experience of working within the retail or fashion industry is desirable
- Natural flair for stakeholder engagement and able to thoughtfully and constructively challenge the people you work with
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Collaborative working style
- Strategic and curious mind
- A self-starter/independent worker with a great deal of persistence
- Ideally, an understanding of UK and wider markets and legislation
- A creative mindset and ability to inspire others with a vision of an engaging alternative, more sustainable future is as important as the desire and drive to land results
Grade – 5
Salary range - £50-60k, depending on experience