Deputy Content Editor
Are you looking for a new Editorial role that gives you the chance to use your creativity and expertise to deliver engaging online content? Are you searching for a role that gives you the opportunity to work with forward-thinking Digital and Creative teams and collaborate with some of the best in the fashion industry? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
Know The Role
Reporting directly into the Digital Content Editor, the Selfridges Deputy Content Editor will support the management of a team of copywriters and Product Technical Specialists; responsible for producing and publishing content to the brand’s online platform. A highly experienced sub-editor with a meticulous eye for detail, this expert wordsmith acts as a guardian for the brand tone of voice, sub-editing daily through large quantities of content, while giving one-on-one training and editing feedback to team members and freelancers alike.
Editing will be second nature to this individual – an ability to sift through all levels of copy and perfecting it to tight deadlines. A stickler for detail, a quick-thinker, problem-solver and a perfectionist, the Deputy Editor will be confident in presenting ideas and concepts to senior stakeholders, while maintaining an efficient and effective copywriting team; able to produce the best online retail offering through content.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintaining online standards through scrupulous daily editing with an eagle eye for detail.
- Sub-editing large quantities of copy to a high standard in a fast-paced environment to maintain the Selfridges website tone of voice.
- Assisting the Content Editor to develop and evolve the brand tone of voice and brand standards online.
- Support the Content Editor on all day-to-day running of the content team, including people management, freelance management and budgets – in-line with company expectations.
- Ensure timelines are managed effectively and consistently with all given projects and workflows.
- Ensure that new launches are executed within a timely manner and to an impeccable standard online.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills with an ability to manage urgent requests on demand.
- Proven ability to lead complex tasks and projects, and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met.
- Lead, inspire, engage and motivate a team of copywriters and product technical specialists.
- Complete annual performance reviews for individual team members in-line with company policies and procedures.
- Managing business KPIs and strict deadlines in a very fast-paced environment.
- Recruit freelancers and manage freelance calendar, liaising with a third-party content recruiter as well as recruiting on a private basis; sub-editing their work daily.
- Impeccable organisational skills and a strong ability to plan effectively on everything from team workloads to project execution.
Know What We're Looking For
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism or a writing-related field. MA/post-grad a plus.
- 5+ years of experience writing, sub-editing and managing a team in a mid-to large-sized company.
- Proven track record of maintaining and developing a website or publication’s identity through tone of voice and excellent standards of content.
- Experience in a senior editing role within editorial, copywriting or journalism.
- Proven track record of driving projects from concept to completion—applying best practices with the ability to prioritise, creatively problem-solve and make timely decisions.
- Solid knowledge of the digital luxury retail sphere and experience within a fast-paced digital environment.
- Superior attention to detail, with a keen and meticulous eye.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle several workflows.
- An expert in grammar, punctuation and a general wordsmith.
- Ability to think strategically and stay on top of execution.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including collaborating and team building practices.
- Ability to supervise, train and mentor team members, including organising, prioritising and managing tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate relentlessly high standards, fostering passion, integrity and energy.
- Ability to analyse and deliver reports within a content management system. Analysis of time-to-site and business priorities.
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and efficiently, and to collaborate and influence.