Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to help Selfridges achieve our Sustainability targets across the business? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
Know The Role
Selfridges are looking for an Environment Manager to help us achieve our sustainability targets across the business. The Environment Manager will work closely with in-house teams and contractors to implement and further develop sustainability strategies.
The Environment Manager should be a recognised and respected companywide authority on all energy and sustainability operational matters within real estate management including sustainable material use and design. They should support the management of environmental services, accreditations and monthly/annual reporting requirements. They should provide day to day support to the Property team on a wide range of sustainability issues and support the Sustainability team to deliver the sustainability strategy.
Project manage the delivery of Selfridges sustainability strategy targets for 2020/21 and beyond:
- Develop and implement strategies and guidelines to reduce mains water consumption, increase energy efficiency in our buildings/across the supply chain
- Assist Sustainability Team to incorporate sustainability into all packaging incl. weight, material, reduce volume of packaging and recyclability
- Improve granularity of utility of data to identify further energy and water savings
- Support teams to implement guidelines for all new builds and refurbishments; incl. sustainable materials considerations in design
- Set a Science Based Target for GHG reduction, with short and long term targets
- Integrate key sustainability considerations into procurement approach – procurement-led tenders
- Accurately measure and capture data across all identified waste streams , and develop and implement a waste reduction plan
- Ensure the business is legally compliant with environmental legislation and that policy is current and understood
- Raise the profile of energy efficiency and waste reduction through regular communication with team members across all areas of the business
- Embed the Sustainability Strategy throughout Property, with clear measures and targets to lead and measure results
- Work with Projects and consultant teams to advise on sustainability requirements
- Provide technical and practical advice on sustainability issues
- Liaise with design teams on installs with particular reference to specifying and measuring delivery of environmental benefits, material selection and end of life criteria
- Analysis and reporting on energy, water and waste usage as part of internal and external reporting requirements
- Identify and drive ways to reduce energy and carbon emissions
The key responsibilities will deliver the 20/21 targets in Selfridges Sustainability strategy. This includes but is not limited to:
Implementing Effective Energy Monitoring Systems
Working with the Mechanical & Electrical Project and Facilities Management Team to install energy monitoring software. Key tasks include:
- Ensure correct level of data analysis
- Liaise with key stakeholders to establish requirements
- Set up reporting requirements
- Arrange training of staff
- Work closely with BMS contractor to ensure system meets Selfridges requirements.
Setting new Science Based Targets for the business
- Working with an external consultancy to deliver new Science Based Target
- Co-ordinate workshops with key stakeholders
- Liaise with data holders to gather information on Scope 3 emissions
- Act as key point of contact for the business and external consultancy
- Ensure growth of organisation is included in emissions predictions
- Ensure targets set are realistic but challenging with plans in place to meet them
- Short term and long-term goals to be set
- Reduction/engagement/efficiency plans to be developed and implemented
Utilities Working Group
- Chair group and produce minutes
- Ensure each meeting provides information about any issues that may affect energy consumption and plans for the coming month to update dashboard
- Ensure Sustainability dashboard is updated monthly reflecting commentary from working group
- Ensure Energy Action Plans for each building are created and implemented with progress tracked.
- Identify sustainability projects to reduce electricity, gas and water use
- Put together application for funding packs to obtain internal funding
- Work with appropriate department to implement projects
- Develop plans to reduce energy and water consumption
- Work with Facilities Management to ensure that waste data is collected from all stores including project waste
- Work with Facilities Management to put plans in place to reduce waste and increase recycling
- Implement strategies to increase the use of sustainable materials in shop fit outs.
- Work across property to raise awareness of sustainability in projects
- Integrate sustainability into project processes including capital investment process
- Provide assistance to Design team with queries and implementation of green build guidelines
- Manage team member and customer communications and environmental messaging
Know What We're Looking For
- Educated to degree level with/or appropriate professional qualification
- Minimum 5 years experience in a similar role within Sustainability, Real Estate or Building Services
- A flair for building relationships at all levels
- Project and transformational programme management experience
- Ability to prioritise your own workload, to adapt to change and to put the customer at the heart of everything you do
- Understanding and environment reporting, legislation and compliance requirements
- Awareness of broad sustainability issues affecting property and retail.
About The Company
We are a shop run on imagination: a place where the world’s most covetable brands combine with the most extraordinary spectacles, events and ideas for an experience like no other.
We have challenged the rules of retail from day one, whilst demonstrating our unwavering commitment to sustainability. In 2016, we were the first to be awarded with recognition for the ‘World’s Best Sustainability Campaign by a Department Store’ at the IGDS Global Department Store Summit, in-line with its focus on buying better and inspiring change. We are also recognised as the Best Department Store in the World (2010, 2012, 2014 & 2018) underlining our place at the forefront of retail. In 2018 we were recognised as a LinkedIn Top Company to work for.
Our vision is to be the destination for the most extraordinary customer experience, and our people are central to us achieving this. As an employer we are committed to making Selfridges an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work