Senior Design Manager
The job has expired.
You will be able to demonstrate how, in previous roles, you took a brand / retailer / institution and drove measurable results, through an improved digital offering that employed solid design direction and leadership. You will be able to show the strategical thinking under which it all sat and talk through the successes and struggles met along the way.
Know The Role
- Lead a busy team of creatives as they create content for www.selfridges.com the Selfridges App and our social media channels.
- Work closely with the Multimedia Creative production team and ensure that they are fully abreast of workload at all times.
- Work closely with all other Senior Design Managers within team in order to fully utilise the skillset across the entire team.
- Work with UX / UI teams and wider digital team to ensure visual design is considered in proposed solutions to ensure that the team are responding to challenges at all stages of the process and iterating towards the best possible experience for our customers.
- Create, define and work from wireframes and sketches to produce engaging, functional designs.
- Adhere to existing brand guidelines and develop new components in line with current guidelines when required. Work closely with the Senior Design Manager – Brand within the Multimedia Creative team to ensure your vision is aligned.
- Raise the level of craft and finish in digital design ensuring our work enhances the overall customer experience.
- Produce detailed documentation for delivering designs to developers where needed.
- Engage with developers and all team members that create and upload content onto our platforms to ensure build replicates visual design.
- Challenge UX/BA requirements from a design perspective.
- Create sketches and storyboards to visualise early design solutions.
- Provide asset creation for prototype development.
- Validate ideas and designs through user testing.
- Present work internally and to stakeholders.
- Build and manage relationships with Multimedia Creative team, the wider Creative community, key stakeholders and wider digital team.
- Drive innovative thinking that challenges the brief and leads to better solutions.
- Work closely with other teams to share knowledge, coordinate resources across projects & preserve and enhance our collaborative culture.
- Good management of communications, risks and issues with internal teams and functions (and external vendors where appropriate), to ensure business criticality is understood
- Work hard to improve timelines, transparency, consistency and control.
- Maintain good documentation.
- Recruit, develop and maintain the talent in the digital design team to a high standard. Identifying the right people for the right roles playing to strengths and specialities.
- Be a good mentor and coach to the team members on their projects and their personal development. Ensure the team are tracking how you want them to, relating to their objectives and twice yearly review cycle.
- Follow all company processes thoroughly e.g. PDP’s, Talent Review’s, People Plan and other Surveys.
- Observe team working behaviours and maintain a positive, creative, professional and productive studio environment.
- Working in line with the production team, monitor team workload and use systems and processes to ensure all workload can be delivered.
- Communicate to the Director of Multimedia Creative any team concerns, developments, updates and workload issues.
Know What We're Looking For
- BA (Hons) in Digital Design, Graphic Design or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant industry experience, ideally at a luxury retailer, brand or top tier agency. Experience of building web and apps. Experience of Animation/Motion.
- Excellent core graphic design, typography, layout and digital standards.
- Adobe CC, Adobe Experience Manager (AEM), CSS, Sketch… Animation skills a bonus.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills including the ability to communicate complex interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- A highly experienced leader that is able to define our needs and get the required ‘buy-in’ from the business.
- Self-motivated and able to absorb complex information and find simple usable solutions.
- A solid team player that can work within a production-centric environment that is focused on delivery whilst ensuring that all stakeholders are serviced and well informed
- Attuned to both the Selfridges brand, its competitors, and the wider world of fashion, accessories, beauty, home, food and drink retail.
- Strong sense of ownership. Able to apply consistent design standards across all digital outputs at Selfridges. Defines the look and feel of the website and App with other key stake holders taken on the journey.
- Proven and comfortable in their abilities. Can scale their thinking, apply knowledge and take a project from initial idea through to build, test and launch.
- Happy to share their knowledge with others and champion new learning through the team.
- A healthy interest in emerging trends in the tech sector and an unquenchable thirst for design, fashion, music, art and culture.
- A ‘can do’ attitude. A great mentor.
- A good listener and, a strong sense of fun!
About The Company
We are a shop run on imagination: a place where the world’s most covetable brands combine with the most extraordinary spectacles, events and ideas for an experience like no other.
We have challenged the rules of retail from day one, whilst demonstrating our unwavering commitment to sustainability. In 2016, we were the first to be awarded with recognition for the ‘World’s Best Sustainability Campaign by a Department Store’ at the IGDS Global Department Store Summit, in-line with its focus on buying better and inspiring change. We are also recognised as the Best Department Store in the World (2010, 2012, 2014 & 2018) underlining our place at the forefront of retail. In 2018 we were recognised as a LinkedIn Top Company to work for.
Our vision is to be the destination for the most extraordinary customer experience, and our people are central to us achieving this. As an employer we are committed to making Selfridges an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work